Thursday Thirteen No. 47: Late Summer? Early Autumn?
2. Call it August, September....It doesn't matter.
3. I call it today
4. When the sun rises later and with langor
5. Slowly streaming through the leaves the window and into my coffee cup.
6. The steam of the coffee is visible this cool morning
7. On which the insects continue their conversation. They have scarcely noticed dawn.
8. Have they noticed that the birches are turning and dropping their yellow leaves
9. That they are dry and tired and letting go without any fanfare, without a calendar?
10. My fingers feel the cool of the morning and I draw them into my sweatshirt.
11. I will swim later, I think, and the water will feel very warm.
12. And that will be that for the swimsuit stretched and frayed by a long hot summer and the sea.
13. The dust and heat remind me of the smell of paper, a returning to indoor work and solitude, in a way--
In just a few days. For now it is late summer.