Thursday Thirteen 52: Love in Basic English
This week the words of 1 Corinthians 13 have been doing laps inside my head. I have been well aware of love in my life and the nature of love generally and the profound need to be loving in all things with the (very often) difficult students in my charge. Putting all of this together in a little thing I call my life, I have found my brain chasing around the poetry of 1 Corinthians 13. Being a woman of my times, I googled the text rather than reached for the Revised Standard Version of the Good Book that I call home.
I was delighted when I came across "Bible in Basic English" at biblos.com because it startled me. The replacement of "patient" with "never tired of waiting" stopped me in my tracks. I like to think I'm patient but I am in no way capable of any kind of waiting. How humbling. Check out love in basic English:
1.Love is never tired of waiting;
2. love is kind;
3. love has no envy;
4. love has no high opinion of itself;
5. love has no pride;
6. love's ways are ever fair;
7. it takes no thought for itself;
8. it is not quickly made angry,
9. it takes no account of evil;
10. it takes no pleasure in wrongdoing,
11. but has joy in what is true;
12. love has the power of undergoing all things, having faith in all things, hoping all things.
13. Though the prophet's word may come to an end, tongues come to nothing, and knowledge have no more value, love has no end.
Rating my ability to love on a scale of 1 to 13--well, I'll admit I'm no 13! If you are never tired of waiting, I'll never tire of trying....