Thursday Thirteen: Thoughts on November
1. November crept in silently last weekend.
2. There was a strange magic about the silence of the day.
3. Wherever I found myself, I noticed the absence of human noise and even of animal sounds--no geese, no ducks, no distant dogs, no crows, no gulls.
5. All were gone.
7. Inside, I think--houses, holes, nests--or somewhere warm.
8. Then, last night, I heard one cricket chirping into the darkness that was not cold.|
9. It felt as though a warm draft had rolled back over the flapping wings of those distant Canada geese heading South.
10. Then there was the promise of rain. Warm November rains feel strange.
11. They take with them the last of the Fall color,
12. Clearing the sky of the debris of summer,
13. November rains make it possible to see the stars at night and to perhaps touch them. Or at least try.