Blog Your Blessings: Happy Thoughts
"Don't let the b*****ds get you down," the text message read. I laughed. Out loud. Alone. In my car in the early morning light. In the middle of a long week.I try not to think of my students as b******s, but there are days Ms. Ubergeek uses those words. I can create whole and correct sentences with those words alone. But I don't usually feel that way.
The text message from my friend who is a war veteran and no stranger therefore to danger made me realize I didn't want Wednesday, the day it arrived, to be a day of running from ankle biters. As I read the message at the red light before I jumped on the highway, I thought, "What kind of a day will I have?" and I meant the question. I was going to make my own day. It would be a good one. And I would laugh in the face of aggravation.
And I almost remembered to.
Later, that got me to thinking of all the good stuff--and there is plenty--that makes my days go round. Caryn had invited me a few weeks ago to go ahead and list the good thoughts, so I did this week so that I will remember to laugh in the face of aggravation:
1. The red roses my nephews gave me for Valentine's Day;
2. The delightful, silly nephews;
3. Their wonderful cousin, my daughter, who still thinks its marvelous to be tucked in at night;
4. Friends who get it right all the time and make me laugh myself out of my own seriousness;
5. Mom and dad who are there for me and my kid all the time;
6. Dad who can translate the shenanigans of union practice into terms I understand;
7. A guinea pig who is always happy to be held;
8. Pink skies that light the morning;
9. Birds singing at 5 a.m. again;
10. Hot coffee, toast, quiet, and your smile.
It's all good. Just have to remember.
Blog Your Blessings